June 17, 2005

Am I just a jerk?

I really need some help on my position. I am a baseball coach. Every year I am an assistant coach on the All-Star team. This year we are talking about 11 year olds. Each year we have had a different head coach/manager.

The same thing has happened every year, the manager says we will have 12 boys on the team, 14 or 15 try out and he will not cut the extra boys. Past managers have explained to the boys and the parents that the player will likely not see much action, etc., etc., and they are free to reconsider if they want to be on the team. Always, these less talented players want the honor of being on the all star team. I would too. Last year one of the worst players in the league tried out. The fact he was put on the team cheapened the honor of those who made the roster legitimately. "Johnnie made the All Stars -- you have to be kidding" I heard many of the boys and parents say.

Every year, the coach tries desperately to make sure these boys get playing time in every game. The problem is that these boys were not the best, and they are taking playing time from the better players, so that they can feel good and be a part.

I say we should cut the players and encourage them to try hard and get better for next year. I am not one of those win-at-all-costs guys living vicariously through my son. I do believe that in life some people are smarter, some are better athletes, and yes, life is not fair. Apparently, I am just the only cold hearted SOB who thinks that players should be cut if they are not good enough. Tell me if I am wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why not scratch the whole try-out aspect of it. Why not have each team elect their best player to represent the team?

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger