September 22, 2005

Life's Musical Soundtrack

I watched the movie Dazed and Confused the other day. They could have followed me around in high school and filmed that movie. I had a good time in high school, but I have no interest in going back. I blew off my reunion again this year. Those were not the best times of my life. If you live for your high school days, I feel sorry for you. Life has so much more to offer. You have not found the joy of holding your newborn child in your hands, your heart filled with wonder and fear. You have not seen the love of your life enter the church, the glow of love eclipsing the stark white brightness of the wedding dress. You have not savored the success of a business deal gone right, the bile in your mouth feeling of failure. It is the highs and lows of life that make every day the best day. If you experienced all of your highs and lows in high school, your life can only be judged a failure.

I think of that movie because the soundtrack of that movie has been the soundtrack of my life. I am stuck in the 70's musically. On occasion I listen to some 80's stuff. I am chagrined when my wife calls my music oldies, but she is right when she points out it is 30 years old. My parents listened to 50's music when I was in high school, it was "oldies" t me even though it was a mere 20 years old at the time. Elvis was still alive, which is more than I can say about Morrison or Hendricks.

I hear music all the time in my head. I am not sure if this is natural. I am a little afraid to ask, I do not want you all to think I am completely nuts. Today, I am hearing the base line that leads up to these lyrics:

Death defying, mutilated armies scatter the earth,
Crawling out of dirty holes, their morals, their morals disappear.

Yesterday a morning came, a smile upon your face.
Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human, silly human race,
On a sailing ship to nowhere, leaving any place,
If the summer changed to winter, yours is no,
Yours is no disgrace.
Yours is no disgrace.
Yours is no disgrace.


Do you know that song? It is one of my all time favorites. Some days it reminds me of parties, of summer in the car, cruising the strip, stereo blasting. It reminds me of my brother, who turned me on to Yes. It reminds me of my college roommate, we met because he was blasting Close To The Edge on the first day of school. Our common interest help forge a lifelong friendship.

It is the soundtrack of my life that keeps me going. I hear Sinatra in the car, Yes late at night as I contemplate life. Skynyrd as I drink a beer, Hank Williams Jr. and Henry Lee Summer when I want to laugh. Crosby, Stills and Nash often serenade me in the shower, Styx has played in my head while I make love. For some reason Joe Walsh reminds me of painting walls, and Head East was jamming while I cooked chicken on the grill Monday evening.

The Stones, The Beatles, The Doors all jam in my brainpan as I create spreadsheets. The Outlaws were with me at football practice last night. I cannot play an instrument, but I live a musical life.

2 comments:

GUYK said...

You better check out that diamond necklace site and if you buy one be sure to contact me for your free shares in the Brooklyn bridge-just send me your credit card number and I will take $129.95 for postage and hanling and put the shares in the return mail to you.

Anonymous said...

Isnt it cool how music can do that? Certain songs come on and you remember a specific moment, person, place.

H.S. was a interesting time. What I love about hanging with my HS friends now is that although our personalities are still the same, we've all grown up and gotten over that stupid HS shit. We really like who we've all become. WHile some of them would like to go back to those days, I prefer to keep progressing.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger