February 24, 2006

I am just a hick

I do not pretend to be urbane, witty, a true cognoscenti. The big city is not my taste. But to paraphrase Popeye, I know what I know.

Here is what I know, the woman who added commentary to last nights Olympic ice skating needs to just shut up. Her attempts to make the competition more than just skating, jumping, and dancing prove ignorant and hilarious. Take for instance the "She must try to skate inside herself", or my favorite, "she does not get down and skate inside the ice, she just skates on top" as a reason why the skater got low scores. WTF? Imagine this approach on other sports. "Well Tony Kornholer, it looks like he is hitting with his pads, he needs to get outside his body to make that tackle." Or maybe this "Jeff Gordon needs to get outside that car if he wants to win this race, Rusty". Apparently this woman needs to interject some comment, so whatever vacuous, idiotic phrase that jumps into her mind suffices. Quit already, you do not sound intelligent or entertaining, leave the zen bullshit to guys who work on motorcycles.

I have been assured by the commentators, the reporters, and Perky Katie that the American indeed deserved the Silver Medal. Here is my take -- fall down twice, you did not do better than someone who did not fall down, or only fell down once. EOS. Too often, I think participants are judged by their name and reputation. I know this new scoring is supposed to eliminate the subjective scoring (and cheating by the fucking French), but If you put in hard elements and do not complete them,you do not deserve to win. You should not get credit for trying. In any case it is clear why the American fell twice. She should have tried to be the skate, not jump with them.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger