June 8, 2006

Berkeley University responds!

I received this Email yesterday:

Dear Mr. Hoosierboy,

Thank you for taking the time to send the department your comments about the History 7B podcasts. I've forwarded your comments to Professor Burns.

Hopefully you will continue listening to our podcasts as we are planning on expanding and revising the podcasted course offerings in the fall.

Sincerely,
Andrew Keating
Department of History

Hoosierboy
wrote:

I recently downloaded the podcasts of the History 7B lectures as given by Jennifer Burns. As a student of History, I looked forward to the series.

I am aghast at the quality of the lectures from a renowned university. I am not discussing the bias inherent in the lectures, that is a perception of the listener, but rather the factual discrepancies from Ms. Burns.

The Black Hills are located in South Dakota, not Nebraska. George Custer did not discover gold in the Black Hills, nor did he mine it. The Battle of Little Big Horn was in 1876, not 1874. The battle was in Montana, not the Black Hills. President Grant did not appoint a group of Christian Religious leaders to oversee Indian Affairs in 1890, he was quite dead at that time. Similarly, William Henry Harrison took no position on the issues of Hawaii in the 1890's for the same reason.

These are just a few examples found in the first two lectures I downloaded. If this is an example of the History Department at Berkeley, I am glad my daughter attends Butler University.

Hoosierboy
Shelbyville, IN

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger