October 5, 2007

Friday

Isn't it amazing how a rasher of bacon and some coffee makes the day a little better? So far it has been pretty disappointing for both personal and professional reasons.

I am sorely dragging this morning. I stayed up to watch the Cubs lose again. I do not know why I got my hopes up. They will only disappoint me. My grandfather's father was a Cubs fan the last time they were world champions. Chew on that fat for a while.

Have you heard that term before? I have been derided for some weeks by a coworker for a similar phrase. He asked if something that happened bothered me and I replied that it was 'like water on a duck's back.' He said that made no sense and I pointed out that a duck's feathers were waterproof so water just runs off the duck's back. In other words it had no effect on me. He now tells me on a regular basis that is the dumbest phrase he has ever heard. Have you used that analogy?

Jack Aubry in the book Master and Commander says he feels when on shore like a "badger in a barrel", I am not sure what that means, but it is wonderfully descriptive. Are there colloquialism you use?

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger