July 2, 2008

Balloons

Writing about the County Fair reminds me of times spent at various fairgrounds. In my teens I was a Boy Scout. Each year they had a "Scout Fair" that alternated between the Clinton and Boone County fairgrounds. The various Scout Troops and Cub Scout packs had booths showcasing aspects of scouting life. One troop may demonstrate knots and lashing, another physical fitness or first aid. Usually the boy Scout troops camped overnight.

One year when I was Senior Patrol Leader I returned to the campsite after visiting friends. We were at the Boone County fairgrounds. Nearby was a gas station. Some of the younger kids had gone to the gas station to buy candy, cokes, etc. while I was gone. A couple of the boys were hitting a balloon back and forth across the fire. It took me a few minutes to notice, but I finally asked where the got the balloon. One of the boys said they bought it at the gas station. There was a vending machine in the bathroom...

I nearly died laughing. The Scout Master thought it was funny too, but I was still in trouble for letting the kids leave the fairgrounds.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger