July 11, 2008

Friday Five

I am a stubborn cuss. Play, don't play, I will keep putting it up until I am bored with it. Just remember, if you loved me you would make an attempt. This week we are going to move away from Classic Rock and focus on Country Music. Lets get right to it shall we?

I believe this is one of the most beautiful and haunting songs ever written:
1. Hear the lonesome whiperwill
He sounds too blue to fly
The midnight train is whining low
Im so lonesome I could cry

Ive never seen a night so long
When time goes crawling by
The moon just went behind a cloud
To hide its face and cry


Two things have always stuck me about this artist. She can really sing too:
2. Here you come again
Just when Im about to make it work without you
You waltz right in the door
Just like you done before
And wrap my heart round your little finger


I love the story behind this song:
3. Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.
Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina;
Music would play and Felina would whirl.

Blacker than night were the eyes of Felina,
Wicked and evil while casting a spell.
My love was deep for this Mexican maiden;
I was in love but in vain, I could tell.


I saw this guy in concert in the mid-1980's. He was so wasted he forgot his lyrics:
4. The preacher man says it’s the end of time
And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry
The interest is up and the Stock Markets down
And you only get mugged
If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see
A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive
And a country boy can survive


Is this a country song, a rock song? I still like it:
5. People say I'm no good
I'm crazy as a loon
'cause I get stoned in the morning,
I get drunk in the afternoon.
Kinda like my old blue tick hound
I like to lay around in the shade.
And I ain't got no money
but I damn sure got it made.
'Cause I ain't askin' nobody for nothin'
if I can't get it on my own.
If you don't like the way I'm livin'
You just leave this long haired country boy alone.


bonus: This is perhaps the greatest country song ever written:
Last night I broke the seal on a Jim Beam decanter
That looks like Elvis
I soaked the label off a Flintstone Jelly Bean jar
I cleared us off a place on that one little table
that you left us
And pulled me up a big ole piece of floor

I pulled the head off Elvis
Filled Fred up to his pelvis
Yabba Dabba Doo, the King is gone
And so are you


Ah, what the hell here is video of the last song

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger