May 13, 2010

I'm leaving on a jet plane

I had to make a quick one day trip to the land of the Cheeseheads yesterday. I snagged a flight for $149. I could not drive for that price, even when I add in the rental car. Eight hours driving each way plus meals and a hotel would be more expensive.

At the airport there was a little excitement as a woman behind me in Security refused to show her ID. You see she was in a full Burka -- covered head to foot with just a mesh screen over her eyes. She would not show ID, because she would have to show her face. The TSA had to shut down a line so a couple of female agents could be rounded up to private screen the Burka babe.

Since I have already proven I am a racist asshole today, I do not mind admitting I was sure glad the hard-core Islamist family was not on my flight.

The guy next to me on the plane to Milwaukee whistled quietly the entire fucking flight. The only thing worse than a whistler is a change rattler.

I went to get my rental car and they gave me a white Town and Country mini-van. I went back to the counter, but she told me too bad, that is all they had. When I started the f-ing mini-van I realised it had exactly three (3) miles on the odometer. Hertz clearly pulled it off the truck and straight into stall 87.

I ate a chili-dog for lunch. You can bet I marked that brand new mini-van as mine later in the afternoon. No more new car smell for the next traveller. Who got the last laugh, Hertz Rent a Car?

Anyway, I had a good customer visit. I left home at 7:00 am and returned at 11:00 pm. Two, two, two work days in one.

7 comments:

Otter said...

Nothing screams "Pimpin" like a mini-van!

Dan O. said...

"You can bet I marked that brand new mini-van as mine later in the afternoon."

LMAO! Most excellent.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Damn shame TSA can't profile.

Dammer shame that anyone with a burka isn't flatly prohibited by federal law from flying.

jonas said...

Now HB...you gotta figure I'm going to raise a hand on this one...

"Since I have already proven I am a racist asshole today, I do not mind admitting I was sure glad the hard-core Islamist family was not on my flight."

1) Islamist? I think you mean "Mulsim". If there's some rationale for your moniker, I am interested in hearing it.

2) Walk me through why you're happy they were not on your flight. Of the BAZILLION, rational reasons that makes no sense, let me offer this one: I assume your concern is regarding potential terrorism, yes? Well given that the kind of profiling suggested by Nathan does actually happen, do you really think a terrorist would draw attention to themselves by wearing clothes that screams "Hey assholes!! I'm the crazy fucker you're looking for!! Over here!!" I kinda think not.
If you had some other concern, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

As always, your faithful reader and voice of occasional dissent...

jonas said...

Now, I understand I've opened myself of to some...let's say....disagreement here. The point, as always, isn't to ruffle feathers, finger point, or high horse anything. Rather, as HB knows, I'm just interested in discourse.

My hope is that my intent as such is always clear. But, I know I don't always succeed in being clear.

Joe said...

Of course you are right Jonas. Let me explain my comments through an example.

I have an irrational deep fear of snakes. I know it is not based on fact. I know most serpents are beneficial to society (the yeat rats etc.). I have studied, them held them, and my fear is stronger than ever.

Nearly every act of terrorism committed in the past twenty years has been committed by Muslims. fair or unfair, we have to consider that a muslim on our plane is more likely to be suspect than an old grandma.

Hopefully that explains my comment.

Jonas, I am sure you understood my sentiment in the original post, but wanted to make your point. I am Ok with that.

jonas said...

HB:

I get irrational fear...we all have them. However, I'd suggest that "alot" is a more accurate description of the amount of terrorism perpetrated by Muslims than "nearly every". Keep in mind Ireland, Sri Lanka, Spain, Japan, and the Balkans, to name the big ones of the last 20 yrs (and beyond). Oh, and then there was the super-normal looking fella...Tim McVeigh.

Anyway...
Enjoy your weekend HB.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger