July 15, 2010

Quick Thought Thursday

Believe it or not, I am all for paying reparations. I say we give $100,000,000 tax free to each and every former slave who was alive when the 13th Amendment to the Constitution was passed. To collect these funds the individual will have to appear in person before Congress.

When I turned on the lights in the office this morning two of the four bulbs in the overhead light were burned out. I am working in the semi-darkness.

Coming back from Cheeseheadistan yesterday evening I hit both Milwaukee and Chicago during the evening rush. Some days it is good to be me.

Why is it that some people do not use their cruise control? They pass me, slow down, drive in my blind spot, pass me, slow down... routine gets old after thirty or forty miles.

If you are driving in the left lane, and everyone on the highway is forced to pass you on the right, you are a douchebag asshole ignorant driver. You are also likely from Ohio. I have ranted about this before, and I know how you feel about this Dan-o. I am especially calling out the jerk in the blue minivan puttering along at 55 in the left lane holding up a mile of traffic.

The MLB all-star game is a joke. Just name the players to the game and forget playing it. The same can be said for the NFL ProBowl -- why bother? NBA -- I don't care, I don't watch. I can guess it is a waste of time and oxygen too. Does the NHL have a meaningless game too? If so, ditto above, other than I care even less.

Is there anything so refreshing as fresh pineapple?

Maybe watermelon.

I do not know what I am having for supper tonight, but it is going to include sweet corn and tomatoes -- hopefully I can find some yellow and red ones at the farmers market.

I think the Union workers are trying to set a record. How long does it take to rebuild the interchange at I-65/I80. They have literally been working there for 4 or five years, with no end in sight.

Let me get this straight. Arizona must be sued because it "interferes" with Federal Immigration policy. Sanctuary cities do not? I swear some days I am living in Alice's Wonderland. Is it opposite day?

Does anyone else find it ironic the NAACP, an organization founded to support members of a single race (ie not for advancing whites or Asians) is calling out another group for racism? Isn't that like the Klan calling out La Raza?

I saved 1.6 trillion new jobs. Last week. That is about as believable as the Administration's claims.

The near-constant race-baiting may backfire and a real race war might break out. Anjin, over at Yabu's place has called it. Perhaps that is on the President's agenda? A crisis cannot be wasted, you know. It was just through such civil unrest that Dictators have taken control of government throughout history -- Caesar, Napoleon, Lenin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Castro to name but a few.

I know, maybe I need some Midol.

12 comments:

Dan O. said...

Good points, all.

What I think is, drivers should follow the Traffic LAWS of the state they are currently driving in. If that includes the left lane is ONLY for passing. So be it.

In Ohio, that is NOT the law. That's why I think the way I do about it. :)

I don't think what anyone BELIEVES the traffic laws should be, matters one iota.

Joe said...

Laws aside, it is rude as hell to hold up traffic. In every state I have been in, "slower traffic keep right" is the standard. This also holds true in The Netherlands, Germany, Italy and France, all places I have driven. It does not hold true in England (I did not drive there) and I guess in Ohio.

Ed Bonderenka said...

"slower traffic keep right" turns out not to be the law in Michigan.
But it should be.
On the Autobahn, if you're not passing, you're not in left lane.

Anonymous said...

I loved those idiot fucking truckers who loved to pull out in the left lane just as we or others were about to pass them. Then they couldn't manage to keep their rigs at even the posted speed limit.
I'd say about 30-40% of the truck drivers out there should have their licenses pulled.

My middle finger got a huge workout on vacation.


Dick

Anonymous said...

Is drive training still a mandatory class in Indiana? It was back in the ancient days when I went to high school. We still managed to kill off two off our class but we knew those two were idiots.





James Old Guy

TheWayfarer said...

What this country needs is more unemployed politicians...Don't shoot 'em, make them beg for a fucking bullet first!

Dan O. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greybeard said...

Drove from Ft. Wayne to Flint, MI a few years back...
The right lane was impossible...
A washboard.
I don't care what the damn law is, if you want people to use the road, maintain it!

Dan O. said...

HB, we're obviously never going to agree on this subject and I'm okay with that.

At the risk of beating a deceased equine, I love it when people want to talk about courtesy instead of the traffic laws.

How courteous is it to ride someone's ass when they are driving legally and doing at least the speed limit?

You are right, it is rude to hold up traffic. In ANY lane. BUT, if someone is driving the SPEED LIMIT, then technically they aren't holding up anybody but would-be violators of the law. And who gives a sh!t about them?

I've never understood why so many, otherwise law-abiding (presumably), people feel it's okay to kick aside the traffic laws because they need to go, go, go and think EVERYONE else is the rude one for not driving 20 miles an hour over the speed limit.

No logical explanation exists for driving that way.

/end beating of horse

Anonymous said...

how about going 55 in the left lane when the limit is 70?

hb

TheWayfarer said...

Dan O.
Looks like you've encountered Johnny-Reb and his freaking Dodge Tailgater...I mean Durango, a few times. My fave strategy when I am keeping right and Cotton Mouth is riding my ass anyway is to slow down to 15-20 mph below limit so he goes gunning around to the next red light, where I inevitably pull up behind him.

I drove from Ft. Wayne, In. to Michigan City with nary an issue once I got across the Michigan line. All their hilljacks must've driven their Dodges back to Necktucky or Rebessee for the weekend.
Ohio drivers are braindead...No debate.

HB, that 55 in the left lane, was he driving a huge, 30 year-old emerald Crown Vic, have big ears and a ball cap, with the turn signal turned on for miles..?
I think I've met that guy!

Dan O. said...

C'mom HB. That question is insulting and beneath you. If you've read my comments and rants you know damn well I've NEVER condoned THAT kind of behavior!

You never said what the posted speed was when the guy was driving 55 and my crystal ball is in the shop.

My point has always been drive within the law first, courtesy second. it's that simple. :)

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger