August 13, 2010

I wish I had a pithy title to insert here

Not much time to post today. I have a big contract negotiation this afternoon and I have to finish preparing. I have never been in favor of heavy negotiating on a Friday afternoon. Often one of the parties is mentally already starting his weekend. I hope it is not me. This is just the first shots of the battle. The customer will decide how vicious the war is going to be. My management has made my position clear, threats from the customer will not be tolerated. Things could get interesting. This is the part of my job I enjoy, the mental chess game of negotiating: pushing for something you do not care about, so you can relent later and get the goal that you really wanted in the first place. At the same time the guy across the table is doing the same.  It is my job to determine what issues are serious and what are giveaways. Sometimes you screw the other guy's plans by acceding to a point he did not care about.

The heat is expected to break by Sunday. The yard is a little scraggly so I will have to get it mowed this weekend. I prefer it not be 95 degrees with 98% humidity when I do it.

I had some Everly Brothers coursing through my brain this morning.  Is it weird to wake up with "Wake Up Little Susie" echoing in your brainpan? I had a good idea on some artists/songs for Friday Covers, but I do not have time this morning. I am sure you are all disappointed.  Everyone loves that feature.

The bottom line is I can work, I can read your blogs, or I can write a decent post.

Guess what wins?

5 comments:

Cappy said...

Were you Cathy's Clown? If so, what are your rates for kids parties.

Joe said...

hah.

I hate clowns almost as much as mimes.

I hate mimes even more than Democrats, if you need a scale.

Freddie said...

Your priorities appear to mirror mine: 1) work; 2) read (entertain SELF), or 3) write. I hardly ever make it down to #3 these days.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's late enough now. How'd it go?


Dick

Joe said...

Other guy's position: We are losing money, you must subsidize us. If you wont we will find another supplier for our 300,000 widgets a year. We do not care if they are as good as you widgets, we have to become profitable.

When you are held hostage it is not negotiation. It is not partnership. it is ust business.

I have some tough decisions to make.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger