September 24, 2010

When you wish upon a star

Back in May, one of the occasional Liberal commenters here at this old blog showed some remarkable compassion:

I hope you have to have a heart bypass one day. And let me be clear: not because I want your life to be in danger, but because I want you to have to eat healthy food for the rest of your life. Every time you ate spinach (or whatever food you think is yucky) would be a victory for all thinking people worldwide. see here and here
In some kind of twisted logic I still do not understand, my old buddy Dave believes that if you are overweight you are stupid.  He still propagates this theory.*  If you are not overweight, I guess you are smart?  I suppose that is why we see so many Nobel Prizes for physics going to starving Ethiopians? Anyway, according to Dave, I am fat therefore I am stupid. He has repeatedly stated this theory even though I weigh between 2 and 6 pounds above my ideal weight for my height. This is true today and it was true in May.

But there is a ray of sunshine visible at the end of the tunnel. I am going to eat some spinach and other veggies.  I am going to eat more healthy altogether. You see, wishes do come true. At least sorta.

Last week I was diagnosed with type II diabetes. I poke myself twice a day and take some pills. I will have to watch my diet and change my eating habits. Some of my favorite meals are off the list for a while -- potatoes, noodles, white bread, pie, soft drinks. Healthy foods are in the plan.

As soon as I get my sugar controlled I will be smart! My Mensa application is filled out and stamped.

I know certain of you will be disappointed -- after all it was not a heart attack. But it is all about the means to the end, right?

Watch the news, thinking people worldwide will be celebrating their victory!

I hope there are fireworks.  I like fireworks.


* Seriously the guy has some real issues with overweight people.  I don't know if he did not get enough to eat as a kid and blames fat people? Or perhaps he is a closet chubby chaser.  Maybe he was the fat kid who got picked on in school? Was he abandoned by an overweight parent?  He needs some help.

9 comments:

Cappy said...

Sorry to hear about it. Hoping for the best for you.

Fred said...

What Cappy said.

And, Dude, maybe lay off some of the more... disturbing stuff too. Life is short.

(Like you need my "advice". ;)

Jean said...

You will do what's smart for you.
I thought you already had your Mensa cert.

linda said...

Good luck with the diet! Diabetes stinks!

GUYK said...

I have been a type two diabetic for over 20 years...and still have both my feet and the feeling in my fingers and toes. But it was one hell of a change in life style to keep them.

Following a diabetic diet doesn't mean you will go hungry but it does mean that you will cut way back on the carbs. And weight loss does help as well as does exercise an drinking lots of water

good luck and stay healthy

Anonymous said...

What symptons did you have, or was it caught during a check up?

Dick
And just so ya know, diabetes is giving my dad pure hell right now.
Look forward to it.

Dick

dragonlady474 said...

I'm sorry to hear that HB. My husband was just diagnosed with Prediabetes (didn't even know there was such a thing). Looks like we all will be eating healthier.

Borepatch said...

I'm sorry to hear about your health. On the bright side, when you wake up in the morning, you won't be a jerk like your liberal commenter.

Yeah, yah - he's smarter and nicer than we are, yadda yadda. [rolls eyes]

You'd think he wouldn't be a jerk.

Joe said...

Dick, I was having some numbness in my feet tha tturned to real pain and discomfort. I was alos having the classic symptoms like thirst, etc. I should have gone to the doctor months ago (or even maybe a year ago). It runs in the family.

Now I have diabetic neuropathy -- possible damage to the nerves in my feet and legs. The doctor and neurologist both thisnk it will improve over time.

In two weeks my blood sugar is 1/3 what it was, but it is still too high, so the pills do help.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger