October 23, 2010

A Titanic Visit

I had a great day yesterday. We went here. Some of the exhibits were the same as I remembered from visiting the museum 20 years ago when it was downtown.

I really enjoyed the Titanic exhibit. I had no idea tickets on the luxury liner were so expensive. First Class accommodations ran in the neighborhood of $90,000 in today's dollars and Second Class would have set you back the today's equivalent of $45,000.

When you entered the exhibit you were given a "Boarding Pass" to the Titanic. The pass was in the name of an actual passenger and the flip side listed the actual known history of the passenger. At the end of the exhibit (just before you got to the cheesy stuff for sale) you learned your fate.  Did you survive the icy terror of April 14, 1912? I like to think my alter-ego, one Frederick Edward Giles, died a hero giving his seat on a lifeboat to a woman or child.

We had a great time, I enjoyed a much-needed day off work. Good for me. Sucks to be you.

Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

I've been in Indianapolis a couple of times (rushed each time) long enough to say that some day we'll actually vacation there! When your nearest cultural center is Detroit (thank God for the Henry Ford Museum) you get jealous of a downtown you can walk through.
A long time family story is that my grandparents were booked on the Titanic, but were late and had to take the Oceanic.
My sister found the manifest of both online and they each had my grandparents names.
I'm glad you proved heroic in your demise. Does anyone get a ticket saying "You were a scalawag who donned women's clothing to board a lifeboat."

Joe said...

Indy has a grea tdowntown. You can walk to most of the "tourist" type sites. There is a mall and I would recommend a visit to the Soldiers and Sailers Monument. A few blocks North is the WWI and II monuments too.

A short drive is the Indy 500 museum, if you like cars.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger