March 20, 2011

I'll stare you down

This is one of my favorite pictures of your humble author, Here I am staring down the photographer as a smart-aleck 14 year-old. That would make me a freshman in high school. My Mom's perfect handwriting on the back tells us the year was 1976.

edit picture removed.  You should check in more often!

At this age I was pretty confident I could kick anyone's ass, although I weighed maybe 100 pounds. Like most boys that age, I was terribly full of myself.

Not like now.

My hair was thick and wavy and unruly. I desperately wanted to be able to grow long hair, feathered at the sides like the cool kids. Instead I had waves and curls. I also wanted to be tall and good looking.

Alas, I was who I was.

I was not in any way as innocent as I looked back in our bicentennial year.

This flashback was brought to you by the numbers four and nine. Which combine to make my age as of today.

11 comments:

linda said...

Wishing you a most happy birthday! I hope there are celebrations planned and that you enjoy your day!
Cute pic!

Grumpyunk said...

"He's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a dolls eyes, Chief."

Happy Birthday, Joe.

Otter said...

Happy B-day!
Your "brudder" -
Otter

Jean said...

Happy birthday, Joe!
May it be a great one.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday,, next one is even more fun.





James Old Guy

Ed Bonderenka said...

Happy Birthday Joe!

Ralphd00d said...

Happy Birthday! No other special sentiments included...

Johnny P said...

Freshman year '76!
The last time I was here you were talking about how old you're feeling. Now I find out we're exactly the same age.
Your birthday is depressing me.
Happy Birthday!

Dave said...

Happy Birthday!

Fred said...

Hope you had a great day!

(Btw: The 9s are better than the 0s, right?) ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. In my books (and at my age) you're still a kid.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger