April 25, 2011

This post is work safe -- damnit

Happy Monday to you. If you read a few posts ago you would know I was off on Friday. That means I am way behind this morning. but I will still take time from my busy day to write a few words for your entertainment.

Traffic at this old piece o'crap blog is way down. I assume that is a function of content. You are still dropping by, but some of your friends and neighbors have abandoned me. Visits are down by 30%, and on some days even 50%. I could blame it on content, but I prefer to think it is someone else's issue.

Probably not. The truth is I think blogging really died with Rob Smith and Bane. Sadly, I suspect many of you were not into this strange hobby when those guys (among others) set the standard for blogging excellence. It has just taken a few years for some of us Johnny-come-latelys to understand. The Twitter, The Facebook -- that is where it is at. But you will not find me there. I will not say never, but if I could wean myself from this habit I will not take up another. Going from blogging to Facebook or Twitter would be like givng up beer to drink whiskey and tequila.

Every day I tell myself this will be my last post, but like the those lonely cowboys on Brokeback Mountain -- I cain't quit you. Mostly 'cause I am incapable of composing that final memorable post.  The one you will all say -- "Dude, that is how you go out in style".

"Dude". Does anyone say that anymore? Has that term gone to the land of unused colloquialism? To the boneyard of slang? No one refers to their currency as "bread", only the oldest of hippies find amazing things "far out". Has "dude" been relegated to old guys and the unhippist among us? When I ask my seventeen-year-old these questions he just rolls his eyes.

This post is late getting up, In between words and sentences and paragraphs I have made a few phone calls, answered some emails and poured another cup of coffee. I have also installed some new programs on the boy's laptop and put in a load of laundry.

I may not be entertaining anymore (if I ever was), but I can still multitask with the best.

6 comments:

LeeAnn said...

I say "dude" all the time. And I said "far out" yesterday.
I do worry The Twitter and The FaceHole are going to eat up all the blogging energy out there.
I have to blog. Too much stuff in my head to fit on those tiny spaces.

edward@bonderenka.com said...

Dude.
I Facebook to keep up with the family.
But to opine, it doesn't seem to be the place for that.
And I don't want to friend all the bloggers I read to hear what they have to say.
The good bloggers write well. and FB preclude that.
I have no idea what my real traffic is. I see the hit counter rising, but suppose that's from 'bot traffic.

Jean said...

Bane and Rob frequently posted sleazy girl pics. I guess that's always an option for ya, dude.

Anonymous said...

Not sure blogging is dead but it sure has changed. Facebook is just to restrictive and way to popular.






James Old Guy

Dazd said...

I started reading blogs like 2 months before Rob's death. I had stumbled across his blog and was hooked. And I was a regular reader of Bane's as well.

Comments...I gave up hoping for comments on my blog 2 years ago. I blog for me...if they read it and/or comment fine. If not, I could give a rat's a$$.

Still a weekly reader of yours and this is probably the first comment I've left in a very very long time.

Dave said...

Please explain how this multitask thing works. I'm having a hard enough time doing one thing at a time this morning.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger