July 2, 2011

By The Rocket's Red Glare

It is time to once again celebrate my favorite US Holiday -- Independence Day! Most of you probably know the Declaration of Independence was actually approved on July 2, 1776, but it was not published until the Fourth.  Hancock signed on the Fourth. I love the flags, the fireworks, the patriotism and the day off work.  This year's Fourth is double good because it gives us a long weekend.

It was back on the 4th of July in 1976 when I had my first sorta-date with a girl. A buddy arranged for me to meet up with his girlfriend and her best friend to watch the fireworks. We all lay* on our backs on the golf course and watched the night time explosions that marked our Bicentennial. The girl cradled her head on my shoulder and the 14 year-old me wanted to sneak a kiss but I was too terrified. I chalk it up to another of life's missed opportunities. I think the girl was beyond disappointed. She mistook my shyness for dislike. My failure to call or ask her out again deepened the issue. The idea of rejection left me paralyzed to inaction.

I would not return to my teen years for the wealth of King Midas.

We are off today to our friend's where we will swim, enjoy a couple of adult beverages and probably smoke a fine hand- rolled cigar.  After dark we will likely play some Euchre and have a great time in general.

Tomorrow we have been invited to a cookout. Monday marks the local fireworks display and the great Midwest monument to white trash, fat chicks in tube tops, tattoos, fried food, and farm animals -- The County Fair -- opens for business.

It looks to be a great weekend.  I hope yours is too.


*lay/lie, I never could conjugate that verb correctly and I am too lazy to look it up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always loved the 4th in Indiana, have a great one.






James Old Guy

Greybeard said...

"I would not return to my teen years for the wealth of King Midas."
Amen to that.
But my post-Viet Nam twenties?
In a heartbeat.

Rita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rita said...

Just so you know I got some obscure hit today from Singapore from your site with the added "graphic-pygma-sex-video"

Happy July 4th!

Joe said...

A significant portion of my hits are for pervs looking for pygmy sex. It is the #1 search term in my referal logs every day, by a wide margin.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I'd go back to my teens if I could take back everything I've learned since then and start over.

Sadly, youth is wasted on the young.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger