November 18, 2011

Friday Five

I love movies. New movies, old movies, I don't care. I love to get lost for an hour or two in a fantasy world of celluloid. I love Technicolor or black and white films. I spend most of my TV time watching movies. The wife and I have really one one thing in common -- we both like going to the movies.

As such, I am pretty sure I can identify five elements that make a good and enjoyable movie.  I am not talking about the stuff the critics like, but rather the elements that make you want to watch and enjoy a film. Inclusion of one or more of these elements does not necessarily make the movie good, but the absence of these elements virtually guarantees the movie will suck. In no particular order:

1.  Cars.  A film needs cars -- fast cars or car crashes, or  car chases. The Blues Brothers mall scene is worth the price of admission (or to buy the DVD). Bullitt was a so-so movie except for the car chase. Hell, Rat Patrol is a TV show that was worth viewing just for the Jeeps in the opening credits.

2. Horses Horses make for good movies.  Seabiscuit and Secretariat had horses.  So do most John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns.. Red Dawn had horses for a couple of scenes. Just because a horse is present does not mean the movie is good -- see National Velvet (no, don't and take my word for it).

3. Guns Sergent York, Dirty Harry, Outlaw Josey Wales, True Grit, High Noon, Full Metal Jacket, Big Jake, any gangster movie, Bonnie and Clyde, The Godfather, Master and Commander, Zulu Dawn, James Bond...'nuf said.

4. Karate/fights/chicks in swimsuits/sports. Bruce Lee, Esther Williams, Frankie and Annette films, James Bond, Blood Sport, Hoosiers, Rudy, Field of Dreams, Billy Jack are all examples.

5. Starring Clint Eastwood, John Wayne, Fred Astaire, Steve McQueen, Frank Sinatra, Esther Williams, Audry Hepburn, Sean Connery, John Belushi, Paul Newman, Jimmy Stewart,  or Kevin Costner (but only if it is a sports movie).

Your opinion may vary, but is likely wrong if you disagree.


7 comments:

Steve_in_CA said...

I had to go and watch the intro to Rat Patrol just to remind me of how awesome it was.

Anonymous said...

Here, here!

Rita said...

1. Cars. Only good car show I remember was Duel.

2. Horses. Nah, unless you count Murphy's Romance.

3. Guns. Drawing a blank here (ha).

4. Agree with Field of Dreams, Hoosiers and Rudy, but it should include Blind Side and Radio.



You left off the best movie of all time, Shawshank Redemption. I know about every line in the movie.

Joe said...

Rita--

see the final sentence.

Rita said...

Joe: I'm a female. I reserve the right to always be right and you're a male, ergo......

Ed Bonderenka said...

thank God you included Jimmy Stewart. I'd have hated to be wrong.
Winchester 73.

CnC said...

Cars Joe? you gotta love Bullitt I have it on Blu Ray, best car chase scene ever.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger