February 28, 2012

tappity tappity damn it backspace

I hate to text. I do it on occasion. Mostly when I have to communicate but do not want to actually talk to the other person. Sometimes, for short burst messages it is handy. But I am not a back and forth text conversation kind of guy.

They (the dreaded "they") invented the telephone for a reason. If sending written messages was the best way to communicate then we would still be using the telegraph and we would look forward to a  telegram delivered by a kid on a bike. As an added bonus the bike messenger and I could dance together in the gazebo singing about our respective ages. Then it would rain and I could climb into bed with Julie Andrews. I would be cool with that. Until I discovered the bike messenger dude was a secret Nazi bastard, or Democrat, or whatnot.

I have a friend who likes to text. As long as you answer her she will send another one. Drives me crazy. I end up either ignoring her or just calling her in the end.

My stubby fingers and the little texting keyboard do not play nice together. For goodness sake, I cannot operate the full-sized keyboard without numerous typos and premature spacebar issues (as Freddie likes to call them). I am certain my texts are the primary source for the endless email chains recounting the hilarious end result of the autocorrect feature in action.

If you are one of the 19,604, 211 people who text while driving -- I hate you and hope you smash up in a fiery crash reminiscent of Juan Pablo Montoya and the jet dryer truck at Daytona. How is that for a contemporary reference?  No precanned post today my bloggy friends. OK, I do not want you to suffer pain or injury for texting while driving.  Just stop doing it.

6 comments:

Jean said...

I had texting blocked a long time ago. Phone and email work just fine IMHO. Sometimes I miss letters, as in hand written on real paper.

Freddie said...

:)

Ed Bonderenka said...

Texting works in a plant environment.
So many meetings during the day where people won't take calls, but will text a reply you need.

Hey, teacher... said...

Was the Julie Andrews reference a nod to Christopher Plummer winning the Oscar,(my, you are trendy)or are you just hot for for former nuns.

I am allergic to texting and am proud to say I have only sent one. One reason is I'm cheap and have a tracfone and texting costs money.
I take pleasure in catching students texting in school and sending their phones to the office for their parents to retrieve, (thought I'd go along with your Nazi/Democrat jibe).
I truly enjoy good paper and a fountain pen,(gotta keep my union brethren at the post office working). Write on!

Joe said...

Teach, I wish I could claim I was that trendy. It did not occur to me. Really I just dig the movie.

Dave said...

I hate texting as well. My cellphone will send and receive email. Why pray tell would I want to text. My wife texts because she doesn't have or want a phone with email. When we need to use a device to communicate, we call each other.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger