April 23, 2013

Dandelion Dreams

It is simply amazing what a little sunshine, a bit of warm southern breeze, and a few inches of rain can do. Ten days ago the trees around here were bare branches waving in the wind.  Today, they are sporting leaves.  The grass is a vivid emerald green so bright Ireland is jealous.

The lilies in the front flower garden have grown 6 inches in an equal number of days, and will begin sporting blooms in a week or two. But in all, most of the perennials and big grasses in my yard are behind schedule by at least a month due to the lingering winter. My daffodils should have bloomed in late March, not this week. Temperatures, while warmer, are still cool for late April.  It spit snow on Friday! Still, I think Spring has finally pried the icy fingers of winter from our collective throats. I suspect we are in for a wet and wild May and June, followed by a long, hot, dry summer.

I can live with that.

I spent my Earth Day mowing the lawn and pulling weeds after a long day of boring paperwork. To reward myself for a job well done, I puffed away on a fine hand-rolled stogie in the garage before supper. 


1 comment:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I cut grass on Sunday, but I made sure to use plenty of coal-generated electricity at work on Monday.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger