February 26, 2015

Get your kicks on Route 66

The famous Route 66 is no more. I sped down its' replacement yesterday; Interstate 44. Slashing southwest across the state of Missouri, I-44 is as bland and devoid of character as any other highway in the Eisenhower interstate system. While I-44 covers some of the very ground of the legendary Route 66, it sports no wigwams , totem poles, stylized motels or roadside attractions. I-44 is also 4 lanes wide, paved, and devoid of stop lights, right angle turns, and 20 mph speed limits. I reached Springfield in a fraction of the time it would have taken me 60 years ago.

I am forever nostalgic for a time I never knew, but 7 or 8 hours of ass-numbing drive is better than spending three days in a car to get the same distance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to worry, soon all those superhighways will have toll booths. That shovel ready project was to install toll booths country wide. Obama got to eat ya know.

The Good Fairy

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I don't have a problem with troll booths. Don't all bridges have them?

Oh, wait.

hey teacher... said...

You're thinking of Shirley Booth

CGHill said...

For what it's worth, once you get out of Missouri, you can dispense with the superslab and zip down an old alignment of what is now called Oklahoma State Highway 66, almost all the way to Oklahoma City.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger