February 15, 2015

observations

You know Debbie Reynolds was always hot, but in the movie "The Rat Race" she is especially spectacular.

When I was a kid both of my parents smoked. It was always a bonus to find a cigarette but in the toilet. I would play fighter pilot and strafe the butt like it was a ship until I shredded the butt.  Then, if I had any ammo left, I would shoot the tobacco like little sailors in the sea.  I always had a lot of imagination.

It is freaking cold.

I read two phrases recently that I found classic. The first was the way Zane Grey described a cowboy waking up in "Riders of the Purple Sage": "he unclosed his eyes". How awesome is that? Hacks like me would go the opposite and write that he opened his peepers.

The second was from Truman Capote's novella "Breakfast at Tiffany's". Capote writes that Holly "patted a yawn". So much description in three little words.

My inability to turn a phrase like that is why I sell stuff and toil away at a little blog hardly anyone reads. You cannot learn how to write like that.

I watched the "The Blue Max" yesterday. I have not watched that WWI Classic in years.

I hope you have a great Sunday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to weather underground, it's 2.5 degrees in the old home town in Indiana. Its a balmy 32 and windy here in the deep south. Damn global warming. On the other side the wife has decided diet starts on Monday,I am not sure which is worse.

JOG

Jean said...

I want Spring...soon. Sheesh.

Ed Bonderenka said...

We, after all these years, i've discovered another "strafer".

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger