December 12, 2016

Please don't

I read over the weekend where the government is thinking about letting people use their cell phones on airplanes. Only those who never fly or routinely fly on government aircraft or private planes could think this idea will work out well. It is bad enough listening to other folks' private conversations in the gate area. Crammed shoulder to shoulder with fat Mary while she discusses her colitis with cousin Jane or next to sunglasses indoors guy while he negotiates a contract is the last thing I want to do. And let us not forget about Speakerphone Steve who cannot be bothered to hold that heavy phone up to his ear or twenty-something Teresa trying to facetime with her cockapoo back in Cedar Rapids. No thank you. 

People cannot be bothered to get off the phone for ninety seconds to complete a retail transaction. What makes anyone suppose that same pajama pants-at -WalMart chick will be any less rude crammed into the window seat in 16A?

It is hard to imagine that there was a time when ordinary citizens went about their daily lives where the only phone they had was screwed to the wall in their kitchen. Look, I love my cell phone. I have had one since 1993 (most likely long before you got one). But I can, and do, survive a couple of hours without using it. I do business deals. I have customers and bosses. They accept I am out of touch while flying the friendly skies.

This is a convenience we do not need.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only hell no on airplanes, I wish they would make them useless in a car if it is in motion.


JOG

hey teacher... said...

It is a lot of fun enforcing the no cell phones in middle school rule. I wish the handed out large hammers at the beginning of the school year.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger