April 19, 2020

A toss of the coin

Legend has it a coin toss determined the fate of the rock legends who died in a plane rash near Clear Lake, Iowa on February 3, 1959. Here’s the thing, Buddy Holly was going. He charted the plane. The  coin determined who got to skip the uncomfortable bus ride and fly ahead of the tour with him. Heads you lose, tails, you lose.

So for this week’s Sunday picture, we are going to Clear Lake, because of course I’ve been there.


This from March of 2015. This “statue” or art work creatively marks the nearest intersection to the crash site. The actual crash site is a few hundred yards down a muddy fence row. The physical  crash site is marked with a guitar made from steel and items left from visitors. When I visited there was a heap of dead and plastic flowers. Legend says the memorial is on the spot Buddy’s body was found.

I also visited the Surf Ballroom , but it was closed the day I was there, plus I had hours to drive get to the hotel for my next morning gig somewhere in southern Minnesota.

2 comments:

glasslass said...

I lived close enough to Clear Lake and a bunch of us piled into an old beater and drove up there the day we heard. Of course we didn't tell our parents we just went. Crying there and back. Really the first time something tragic had ever impacted any of us. But I've never gone back.

Joe said...

Wow. That is an interesting story. You were there...

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger