August 5, 2020

This is not the government we deserve

I had to contact the unemployment office this week. I am once again reminded how inefficient, unresponsive, unprofessional, and awful it is to deal with almost any level of government. 

Of course I couldn’t talk to a real person when I called Monday morning. The system was “better” than when I spent hours on hold back in the early days of the pandemic. It told me my wait time and said I could get a call back without losing my place in line. I pushed the requisite button, expecting a call back Monday. 

Nope.

Yesterday I tried to call again, only to get a terse message that I was on the call back list already. Surely I would get a call back this day.

Nope.

I tried again this morning, pushing various numbers until I got the “please hold” response. I got someone within a few minutes. Instantly pissed. I swallowed my frustration and was sweet as honey while I explained my problem. She told me I needed to apply for a new program. I pointed out that the DWD website says clearly I “need do nothing”; I will automatically get the extended benefits. But, I added, I am glad to apply, how do I do that?  Back on hold.  Finally she said yes, it will be automatic. She didn’t know how or when or what to expect but at some point it will be fixed.  Last time it took six weeks. 

What is really sad is that she was so poorly trained I had to tell her what her policy says. Yet she is secure in a union protected job. 

I finally got my call back about an hour after I spoke with them. My 48 minute estimated hold only took three days to be answered.

I guess I understand why the Government does not give you a survey to complete after an interaction like private sector companies do. On the other hand, the government has no incentive to do a good job.

Just think, both political parties want to give us more government. 

4 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

I know your frustration well. I got a young woman who was trying to sound professional and used every big word she knew. Actually, they were not big words at all. AND, she did not even know how to use them, so it was all gobbeldy gook. How do these people get a job and how on earth do they hold it down. Oh, yeah, I forgot that these are government jobs. If i had been smart, i would have gone for a govt job instead of opting for education.

Anonymous said...

It's not only government, but it's customer service and everything else that needs a human being. Let me remind you that we are in a pandemic. Human beings are hard to come by these days. Many are sick and can not work. I understand your frustration but we need to have a heart and bare with the inconveniences. There are millions of people needing assistance and a dwindling number of human beings who can assist.
The only way to get quick service today is if it is computerized.
Sorry.
The human beings who are assisting us nowadays need our compassion. If they don't know what they are doing, they probably don't. But as of now, it's all we've got. They still have the capacity to ask someone on their side of the telecomminications what to do.

squeeky's mom said...

Large companies have almost all of their telephone people working from home. For my internet, cable, amazon, etc., everyone has been working from home. I've asked and got them chatting about weather, do you like where your living, anything to make me "human" on the other end and gets me what I want. Works. Son now works for a state government and his staff are all working from home which is pretty much whats happening to the people your talking too. I asked one lady if that was her baby I was hearing. What a conversation that was. But I got what I wanted. I get off the phone and just say, Well bless their hearts.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Holcomb is too busy abridging citizens' rights to worry about how efficient his government is.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger