August 8, 2026

Make Georgia Howl

I’ve been reading Shelby Foote’s history of the Civil War (namely Volume 3). I find him a very good historical storyteller, much the equal of the great Barbara Tuchman or David McCullough. 

Foote has been criticized for his lack of footnotes, but I find that decision makes the narrative far more readable and accessible to the average-non historian reader. I’m fine with it. 

At this point in life I want to enjoy history rather than study it. 

Just as I found Ken Burn’s documentary on the topic enjoyable years ago (it featured Foote as a historian), I am having no issue reading a couple score of pages over lunch every day. 


7 comments:

  1. I thought you had read this years ago,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have, but it has been 30 years, so a little refreshier is in order. Why not, I knew the ending before I ever started.

      Delete
  2. He invented footnotes. You left yourself open there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He also takes the occasional liberty with the facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which doesn't prevent me from enjoying the three volumes.

      Delete
    2. Yes. He makes mistakes and tries hard to cover his Sputhern bias but overall is a great read.

      Delete