I'm looking out the sliding patio door as a fresh cup of coffee brews in my Keurig. The cushions on the patio furniture are soaked from the heavy overnight thunderstorm. The sky remains shrouded in various shades of gray.
I hear the coffee maker sputter and spit the last of the coffee into my insulated Yeti as I watch the tree tops buck and sway in the wind. It's going to rain some more.
I sniffle a yawn. For the fifth day in a row I'm up by four. I'm tired. Afternoons have been tough as the numbers on spreadsheets blur and letters on emails dance before my drooping eyelids. I don't know what is going on. Life, I suppose.
I slap the lid on my coffee and trudge up the stairs to my office. The creak of the stairs is the only sound in the house. The wife's gentle snores are too faint to hear through the closed bedroom door.
I plop into my recliner and stare at my desk with the two big computer monitors a few feet away. It is almost time to log on. Sigh. I've been working since I was thirteen. Fifty-one years, no wonder I lack the enthusiasm I once had. I like my job. I'm good at it. Someday it's hard to get going, especially when I'm tired before I start.
So it goes. No one came here to read my complaints. That said, I have no idea why you thirteen stalwarts come here at all.
Have a great Friday.
I'm ready to retire.
ReplyDeleteMy financials aren't, quite yet.
Intent is to retire no later than 70. That's three years from now.
Social Security checks start end of next month. Might as well take it while it's still there.
I'm in the same situation. My long unemployment saga a few years ago set back my plans significantly. I'm hoping to retire at 70, but will probably work until I die.
DeleteI do, in fact, come here to read what you write cuz you do it so well.
ReplyDeleteWell if we are presented with your complaints we can compare it to our complaints and decided who complaints are better.
ReplyDeleteMight get the roof patched since your stairs have a creek.
ReplyDeleteSee I need an editor And a ghost writer
DeleteFixed