March 6, 2009

Rising Gas Prices

In my travels this week I noticed many gas stations raising prices considerably. When I fueled Wednesday I paid $1.81. Yesterday most stations were at $2.05. According to my handy-dandy calculator, that is an increase of more than 13%. A few talking heads claim it is because the demand is creeping up with spring. Except one of the largest snowstorms swept the bigger part of the nation last week so I think driving miles were down.

If we dig a bit deeper we see the price of crude is also low and dropping. So if there were demand spikes we would see it there.

No my Friends, we all know a business charges what the market can support. All it takes is one owner to say enough and raise his prices and the all the competitors in the neighborhood breath a sigh of relief and jack the price too.

Here is a thought. Many gas stations are what we would call a small businesses. Often they are family owned and operated. Like the rest of us these small business owners have seen their 401Ks turn into 201Ks since the Democrats took over Congress. More importantly, these people watch the news. They see the President is planning to punish them for their success by raising their taxes. They are looking ahead and trying to protect their meagre bank account.

I will explain this again, no business pays taxes. Ever. Raise taxes on a business and the price for the goods they produce will go up. Here is a detailed explanation on this phenomenon I wrote back in September.

You suckers Hoped for Change, you sure got it.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger