May 29, 2010

A bit of this and that

Whoo Hoo long weekend. I knocked off an hour or so early yesterday. I need a vacation, even if it is only one day. We are off this afternoon to some friends to soak in their pool. I intend to smoke a stogie or two with my buddy and drink a couple of beers. It is supposed to be sunny and in the mid-80s, a perfect day.

I have mixed emotions about celebrating the weekend. Certainly Monday should be spent reflecting on the sacrifices made by the men and women who gave their lives for our freedoms. As one pundit put it, Memorial day should be America's Holy day. I agree. The somber sight of the local courthouse lawn lined with white crosses representing the lives of County residents who paid the ultimate price in battle stirs sadness and pride. I find it beyond pitiful that the President of the United States, the Commander in Chief, finds it more important to go to a rock concert than to honor the fallen at Arlington. That criticism is not political. Liberals and conservatives have died for their country. It is incumbent upon the President to understand that sacrifice.

I usually sleep in an old pair of cotton gym shorts. I like to put on clothing when I go to get the paper. I hang yesterday's T-shirt and pants/shorts on my dresser. This morning I was stepping into my shorts when I saw something from the corner of my eye. It was a large spider hanging from the ceiling. We have cathedral ceilings in the bedroom so this guy had dropped from about 12 or 14 feet! I ran to get a Kleenex to smash him. When I came back he was no where to be found! No web, no spider on the floor. No spider on the ceiling. No spider in my shirt. No spider in my hair. He was just gone. I hate spiders almost as much as snakes.

It is a great day so far. I noticed birds have shit all over my car this morning. I guess I will be washing vehicles in a bit.

I hope you have a great Saturday.

One more thing -- if you are still giving money to PBS, you are a moron of the highest order. See this.

2 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

Have a good weekend, HB.
I'd wish Freddie one, but it looks like I've been banned from comments...

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

The commander in chief should have no choice in the matter. He should be at Arlington on Memorial Day.

That he won't be is simply one more proof of his contempt for this country and the military who have defended it against all external enemies.

The man who occupies the office is nothing but an empty suit. He is no leader.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger