September 23, 2010

One step forward, three steps back

I live in a Hokey-Pokey world. I progress forward and something happens to set my life back. I suspect your life is much the same.

Yesterday the boy set off to the big city with some of his buddies for a Wednesday Boys night out at Hooters. They are teenagers, perhaps they have a thing for hot wings?

He called about twenty minutes after he left home. There is a detour and my first thought when the phone rang was he got lost. No such luck. As he left the detour and turned onto the highway the car would not accelerate.  He said it was like the car went into neutral. Oh Oh.

I drove over and he was right.  The car would not go into gear.  No reverse, no forward, no dice. I called a towing company and they are taking it to a local garage for analysis (the next county over).  The mechanic drove the tow truck.  He said that it was very rare for a transmission failure on a Honda (2002), especially when there were no symptoms  prior to the problem -- no slippage, hard to shift, etc. He opined it may be a corroded electrical component. I can only hope.  I expect a transmission for that car will run $1,500 or more. I am not sure the car is worth it.

The mechanic is going to check it out today and call me with the damages. I need a break. Cross your fingers.

edit.  Bad news, it is a broken imput shaft.  The mechanic is looking for a used transmission, he says that will be cheaper than a rebuild.  I neither case I am looking at some serious money.

3 comments:

Joy said...

This happened to my daughter's car. The shifter cable came unhooked from the tranny. My very best mechanic charged me only $50.00.

Good luck, hope it's something small.

dragonlady474 said...

Oh crap! Hope everything works out okay.

Jean said...

Not good. So sorry, HB.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger