March 9, 2011

Boo hoo

The news was filled this morning with the gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair in lament of the eeeeviiilllll Republicans cutting funding for Pell Grants. The future amount of grants will be reduced. Pell Grants are given to the poor to help defray college costs.

Some of the "poor" students were interviewed this morning on what losing free money from the taxpayers might mean. One complained she might now have to take out loans and "owe a bunch of money" when she graduates. Another said he may have to get a part time job to help pay for college.

Going back to my earliest posts this has been a sore subject for me. I have put two kids through college.  My oldest has graduated, my middle child still attends. Both worked while attending classes. Both owe tens of thousands in student loans. My daughter's student loan payments are the equivalent of a luxury car payment.  My son works thirty hours a week and goes to school full time and will have accrued over $40,000 in student loans when he finally graduates.

The "poor" students often do not work, get their college paid for, and enter the workforce debt free -- all on the back of the taxpayers. I have no issue helping the needy get an education.  An educated society is a benefit to us all. I do think that all students should have to maximize the Stafford loans (those are the ones government backed) before we give away the free money.

Before the Democrats start wailing about cheating the "poor" out of a college education, perhaps they can ask why tuition for colleges and universities raises at about 200% the rate of inflation EVERY YEAR. I have been paying tuition for six years between two different colleges (one private and one public) and both have had a minimum increase of 5% every single year. Now that is something to investigate and cry over.

Don't even get me started on the whole scholarship scam.

1 comment:

Ed Bonderenka said...

I remember being in the UAW and that they opened up a learning center so that they could use Pell grants. So much for the poor.
Raise government financing and watch tuition chase it.
I didn't comment, but I wanted you to know how much I liked it.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger