May 2, 2005

The Famous Irish Pub in Utrecht

Thank you to the Delftsman for his link. In honor of him I will tell another funny story that happened to me in The Netherlands.

There were about four of us in Utrecht, and we had been visiting the pubs and drinking a few beers. One of my colleagues remembered visiting, or hearing of, a pub called the Irish Pub. According to him, this was the best drinking spot in the city. Its' charms increased as the night wore on.

Finally, we set off in search of this Mecca of Partying. We traveled up and down streets and alleyways all over the central city no no avail. Occasionally we were forced to stop and get refreshments. Everyone knows that looking for a bar is a thirsty business. Finally, against every instinct I possess, we decided to ask for directions. I know, a major pussified moment.

My good friend and colleague from Germany and I were elected to ask. No one in the group could speak Dutch. I spoke a little French and my friend of course spoke German. You should know EVERYONE in Holland speaks English, most better than I But, as I said we had a few beers, so the plan made sense.

We approached a group of guys walking along the canal and my German friend asked if they has ever heard of the Irish Pub (in English). "Sure", they answered. I asked if they could give us directions. They conferred among themselves.

One finally said "Ok, go up this street for two blocks. Turn right and go about 100 meters. Then you... ask somebody there." He then walked off. To this day that is the funniest directions I have ever received.

We never did find the Irish Pub, but we sure had a good time looking.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger