June 1, 2011

In the good old summertime

It was a beautiful day yesterday, hot and humid and most summer-like for the first day of summer vacation. I dug some holes and the wife planted some flowers. In the evening, I grilled some cheese potatoes and barbecued some pork chops. There is nothing better than some pork on the grill.

To make the potatoes, I slice a bunch of potatoes real thin.  Peel and slice a couple more than you think you will need.  I dice up a Vidalia onion.  I cubed up a pound of cheddar cheese. Make a foil pack of the potatoes, cheese and onion.  Add a bit of red pepper and salt. Make sure you put some extra layers of foil around the package.  I use about six medium potatoes, but I cut and peeled a lot more when my kids all lived at home. Cook over medium heat on the grill for about 1 hour. The new "no-stick" foil works great for this side dish. Some corn and lemonade rounded out the repast. Some fresh sliced 'maters would have also worked well, but it is still too early around here for good tomatoes.

I pissed my boss off yesterday. I probably should not make that a habit. People in authority don't like to be told they are full of shit by subordinates, especially when they know they are.

On the bright side, the week is already half over. On the dark side, I have to strap myself into a metal tube and brave the friendly skies this afternoon. I get to stand in line so I can undress in public, fight with recreational travelers for overhead space, sit in a seat designed for eight year olds with a shoulder width of nine inches, having even my short legs crammed to my chin with no leg room --it is good to be me.

Oh and ladies -- that fucking Vera Bradley bag that is bigger than my whole carry-on?  We all know you do not carry that monstrosity as a purse. It is a gotdamn extra bag. You could at least put it under the seat so the rest of us could have space for our little overnight suitcase. You know who you are.

I am not sure when flying was ever fun, but it is certainly a bigger pain these days than ever.  It is a sad day when I consider driving twelve to fourteen hours each way to avoid the airline experience.

Have a great Wednesday.

2 comments:

Rae Rae said...

I'm gonna have to try the potato thing. Thanks.

"It is a sad day when I consider driving twelve to fourteen hours each way to avoid the airline experience."

Bingo! Also why we're willing to drive to FL for vacation this year.

Have a safe trip.

Rita said...

The potato thing. Next time leave off the cheese, throw in fresh rosemary, and maybe even a slice of bacon if you want to make it not as healthy (I'm ALL about unhealthy foods) and a bit of butter.

Yummm. Now I'm hungry.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger