May 28, 2006

Summertime Memories


A few days ago the wife came home with a handful of Jolly Rancher candies. Being of suspicious nature, I usually do not eat anything without knowing the source. These were wrapped so I thought "What the hell". I ate the sour apple as it is my favorite. Next I sucked on the grape, since I like anything grape flavored. Yesterday, I popped the watermelon Jolly Rancher.

The distinct flavor washed over me and I was instantly transported. I smelled dust and grass and sweat. I pictured the lush greenness of the park. The hot metal smell of the big double slide. I heard the shouts and squeals of delight as kids rode the swings, the merry go round, and the witches hat. I remembered the sounds of the fast-pitch softball games my Dad played. I remembered the thrill of riding a butt-slick curly slide. The taste of that candy reminded me of summers in my youth and the Jolly Ranchers I bought at the park concession stand. It lasted but a second, but it was a nice and wonderful memory. I wish I could explain it better, I lack the skills to describe that vista in my mind. The brain is sure funny.

I think I will buy a bag of Jolly Ranchers the next time I go to the store.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger