August 23, 2006

Roundabout

I fried up some cube steaks last night and served them with buttered corn, mashed potatoes and gravy. I make my own gravy according to my grandma's recipe. It is always good, always perfect. If you want to know how to make perfect white gravy let me know.

I have not commented on the little one and the football team. In a past post I worried he would not be given a chance, and I was right. Last year he beat out all of the 6th graders to win the starting QB slot for the all star football team, and played well. This year, under new coaches at the middle school (7th grade) he was not given an opportunity. When asked what he played he said QB, and they said "well go over there with the other backs". ALL of the skilled positions on first team were given to basketball players. He is second string wing back. Welcome to Indiana -- if you play basketball, you must be the best at everything. The kid playing ahead of him at his position is smaller, slower and did not even make the all star team last year. He has not grown, either. There was no tryout, no competition to see who was better, just slotted in positions on the first day of practice. The coaches always lament the fact that so many kids do not come out for sports teams in the second year -- Hmmm, I wonder why? The little one is getting some practice time at safety and special teams. He is disappointed, but seems to be enjoying the experience. He came home with blood running down his leg yesterday -- his response "it is nothing". The cheerleaders decorated all of the players lockers yesterday; guess who got skipped? Oh well, he cheerfully goes to practice. He is a straight A student in the advanced classes. He already knows there is more to life than sports. He has watched his parents enough to know life ain't fair. He is a good boy.

I can accept the cruelties of life, but it is sure hard to watch your kids get fucked over -- the oldest boy at his concert debut (see below, I am too lazy to link today), the little one here. My dad always said our family was cursed with bad luck, I sure would like to see the cycle broken some day.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger