August 17, 2008

Put flowers in your hair, so I don't have to plant them

I wonder if my wife has been secretly reading Guy. She keeps coming up with all of these projects for me. My idea of a project is to sit in the old chair and watch a Cubs game. Yesterday her project was for me to plant a half dozen mums she purchased. She wanted these babies planted along the front walk. There is a narrow strip of dirt between the garage, which extends out from the house a bit, and this sidewalk. This strip was covered in weeds and a bunch of ground cover and some perennials she hated. These flowers looked like purple and yellow queen ann's lace with a fern-like greenery. They are dead now. The ground cover was a bitch to remove. Anyway the soil, if you could call it that, was as hard as rock. I can say that because it was mostly little rocks mixed in with the Indiana black clay that makes up the soil in these parts. I had to use post hole diggers to get the holes dug. It took one and a half bags of potting soil, two beers and more than two hours to plant these stupid mums. I could only move about 1/8 inch of soil at a time. What a pain.

I was not able to get a decent picture.

I have to mow today, and some bushes in the back need trimmed. I have some work the stuff I get paid for) to do this evening. Happy Sunday.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger