January 24, 2009

Random Ramblings

I have seen a glimpse of the future. My two oldest are away at college. The youngest is 15 and exhibits the typical mid-teen embarrassment at being seen with his parents or even having to talk or communicate with us beyond "pick me up at 4:00" or more typically, "what's for supper?". He is a good kid and I do not take this stuff personally. Anyway, he is spending more time away from home these days, hanging with his friends and such. He is spending this weekend with a friend who moved away a few months ago.

The wife and I are alone together for more than one night for the first time since we brought my daughter home from the hospital more than 22 years ago. The conversation was no different than any typical Friday; how was work, and the mundane trivia that passes as conversation among two lovers of old standing: bills, weather, sports,amusing anecdotes, my bad puns and jokes. There was not the consuming need to fill every moment with conversation, we were as comfortable as a pair of old Levis. We enjoyed a nice restaurant meal and went next door to a bookstore. She wandered to the kid's section to buy books for her class, I meandered the aisles. We drove home in contented silence as we alternated changing the radio to suit our individual tastes -- she to top 40 pop, me to classic rock. She donned her unsexy utilitarian flannel pajamas and curled up on the couch while I read a magazine and a few pages of my O'Brian. I went to bed, my iPod crooning me to slumberland. She joined me sometime in the night. I have no doubt she fell asleep on the couch.

She is still asleep, I am up early. This pattern was established long, long ago. We do not head through life with the stare-into-each-other's eyes we did as twenty-something newlyweds. I do know when I kiss her goodnight I feel electric charges and when I take her in my arms she fits just perfect.

The world spins away on its axis while circling the sun. Politicians decide our fate. Wars and famine and death and birth continue unabated. Bills and work and life heap on my shoulders and I shift the load like Atlas. In the end, I have my kids and I have my family and I have my wife. I am pretty sure they love me. Life is pretty good on a Saturday morning.

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger