April 23, 2010

Now I understand

There is no doubt a sports season is more exciting when there is better competition. I think we would all like to see several teams competing for a playoff spot as the seson winds down. That scenario is far better than seeing the Yankees up 13 games by July. The idea of competitive games at the end of the season is behind the scheduling of divisional rivals in the final weeks of the season in the NFL and the basis for the whole "Chase" in NASCAR.

I finally understand the Cubs role this season. There job is to play the celler-dwellers and give them enough victories to make the divisional races more challenging. There is no other explaination for giving up early season series to the Astros (one victory all season before facing the Northsidrs) and the hapless Mets.

The Cubs starting pitching has been mostly pretty good (welcome to the bullpen Z). It is the late releiver that have crippled the team. That and a complete lack of offense. How do you leave 20+ runners stranded in a nine-inning game?

Upon further thought, I think the Cubs are a larger metaphor for my life. Their role is far more personal than I thought. I no longer intone the mantra "Maybe next year". Next year is always the future. There is no curse. Bartman had nothing to do with the collapse. It is just not to be. We all have our roles in life: Charlie Brown, the fat kid who gets sucked up the chocolate tube in Willie Wonka and the Cubs. That is just how things are.

The Three Fates knitting under the tree in Valhalla decided a long time ago the Cubs would exist to break my heart. The Cubs are the daily disapointment in my life, their chronic failure exisits to get me used to it. Just as we get used to certain levels of pain, so the big disapointments that seem to curse our family hurt a little less.

1 comment:

Dan O. said...

Sports. eh? I wanted to comment on your "removed" post. (my reader picked it up 'fore you deleted it)

Everything you said makes sense to me. You except a job based on certain expectations. Just as they have certain expectations. They certainly expect you to meet your obligations but, always manage to explain away THEIR shortfalls. Ah, corporate America.

Good luck, HB! Hang in there. Or somewhere else. ;)

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger