June 11, 2010

Friday Five

There is that song. It comes on the radio while you are driving to Grandma's, or WalMart, or cruisin' the highways. You hear the first few notes and reach for the dial -- to turn it off.

There are those songs that litter our collective memory and the slightest sounds of the notes send foil-on-fillings cringes up your spine. The songs you loathe so much you would rather pierce your eardrums with icepicks, rusty hangers and screw drivers rather than endure. We are talking songs that make you wish you had spiders or small mice chewing the flesh of your inner ear rather than hear even them one more time.

You know the songs I am talking about. What songs do you hate most? I am not talking The Chicken Dance or The Hokey Pokey, but real songs that actually made the charts for some unknown reason?

I think we can all agree that Muskrat Love is number one, but what do you really hate?

Here are my five in reverse order:

5. Black and White as performed by Three Dog Night
4. Midnight at the Oasis as sung by Maria Muldaur
3. Billy Don't be a Hero by Paper Lace
2. The Joker by Steve Miller
1. Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band. May the author and composer rot in Hell.

With the exception of Number 1 and Number 2, I could interchange dozens of titles. I am sure some of you will remind me of other abortions of music that I will wish I had added. Some might say we could fill the list with Nickleback. Since I am in charge of this particular Friday Five Feature, I reserve the right to modify my list any darn time I feel like it. Don't push me or I will start posting videos of these songs. None of us wants that.

Play along or puppies will die, the terrorists will win and evil people will cut the whiskers off kittens. Void in Rhode Island. Failure to put your thoughts in the comments can put you on the author's shit list. No purchase necessary to play. Do it for the children. Playing may or may not help cure cancer. By playing along you acknowledge the author is correct in his declaration that Muskrat Love and Afternoon Delight are among the worst songs ever written and performed. Submitted written arguments proving otherwise will be considered. You will be wrong,and I will consider you a dip. Failure to provide a listing of five worthless songs indicates you hate babies and daisies. You would do it if you loved me. I will not tell anyone. Please, you don't understand how it hurts if you don't submit to the Friday Five. Do it for the children.

OK, you forced me:



Do not make me bring out Afternoon Delight.

15 comments:

Rita said...

I'd have to agree with your list with maybe the exception of Three Dog Night. Hard to put them in any list of bad songs.

At work I've found a website grooveshark.com that I can pick the songs I want to listen to instead of hearing the slurper guy next to me who makes me want to put an icepick in my eardrums, exactly like "Midnight at the Oasis".


Anyway, since yesterday, I've had one of the best tunes playing in my head.

Don Williams' "Good Ol' Boys Like Me".

Now it's fighting in there with "Muscrat Love". Thanks for that.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Anything by John Mellencamp.

Can't stand that lefty weasel, or his music. Bleah.

Freddie said...

Ok ok. Since you implored so damned effectively this time. Here are 5 of mine, at random:

Break on Through – The Doors (OMG somebody make them STOP!)

For Your Love - The Yardbirds (Ick. ...Just, ick.)

S-S-Suuudio - Phil Collins (Turn it off, TURN IT OFF!)

Booooooooorn in the USA, I was boooooooorn in the USA, booooooooooorn in the USA, booooooooorn in the USA - Bruce Springsteen

ANYTHING by John Mellencamp (but you already knew that)

[Nathan: Believe it or not, I had this comment typed before I even opened the comment box. ..."Little pink houses". Ack-Tooey! 'Nuf said.]

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Heh.

Dan O. said...

Anything sung by Axl Rose. I'd love to hear some covers of Guns n Roses with the same band, different singer.

Nothing else immediately comes to mind. I'll get back to you. (that's not a promise)

Jean said...

Anything by the BeeGees......gawd!

Anonymous said...

Hey be nice I met the Capt and Tennille years ago. Really nice people, the reason they never went anywhere. As for the rest, Elvis is starting to chap my ass.





James Old Guy

mts1 said...

5) Wildfire - the song about a stupid horse that got out of the barn in a snowstorm, and the more stupid woman who went to get it to her peril.

4) The Day Chicago Died. Never made any sense.

3) Anything by the band Coldplay.

2) Teen Spirit by Nirvana. Dude killed my metal genre just as it was being perfected with this one song, and replaced that kick-ass happy music with the dreary, miserable Seattle scene, and women stopped getting all done up and permed 80's style and went for the jackboot, tattoo, baggy clothes, and men's hair style look after that. Hearing the song reminds me of that.

1) Gangsta Rap

Rita said...

HB: This was such a BAD idea for a posting. Everytime I read someone's list, the stupid song plays over and over in my head.

mts1: Actually I think the song was "The NIGHT Chicago Died" because THAT is the one that is now driving me crazy. I have to stop reading the comments here until you change the subject.

Jean said...

Dust in the Wind.

Horse With No Name.

Anonymous said...

Afternoon Delight was about going to ahotel and getting laid during lunch.

Only you and I were too stupid to appreciate it because we were too damn young to figure it out.

Dick

Cappy said...

You have to include anything by Firefall. Also, re: Billy Don't Be a Hero, go ahead, Billy. And take the whole friggin' band with you when you go down.

linda said...

McArthur's Park and ANYTHING by Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan--none of whom can sing! They talk while someone plays music!

mts1 said...

Rita - yup, it was night. Don't know when Capone ever fought the cops all-out in any war, anywhere, let alone on the East Side (yes, there IS an East Side, by the Indiana border), since he had enough of the right ones on his payola, along with the right judges.

Amazing how the 70's had the worst songs. Actually, not amazing at all.

TheWayfarer said...

It may not be the worst song of all time, but after the day at the shop where our local "top 40 (plays the same 13 songs over and over again all day for two months, then mixes in a new one)" station played it 38 times in 8 freaking hours, I'm rolling with I Believe In Love by Elton John...
Rest of his stuff's OK, but I'd rather be waterboarded than listen to that song!

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger