March 19, 2011

In a cold sweat

I used to never get cold. I wore T-shits all winter and never, ever zipped my coat. That was back in the days when my blood was literally maple syrup.

Now that my blood sugar is better and mostly under control, my healthier, thinner blood does not warm me so much. For the past year or so I get cold. In the core of my body. I get the shivering teeth chattering kind of cold. I don't like it, but it is a fact of life. These days I often wear a sweatshirt over my faded Nike tees. When I go outside I wear a hat and gloves and my coat is zipped to my neck. Winter walks find me in a stocking cap and a hoody under my winter coat. Friggin' wimp I am these days.

Last night I mosied off to bed around 11:30. That is my usual time. I am one to fall asleep instantly. But for some reason I was still awake after midnight. I got up and went to read a little. As I sat in the chair I began to get warm.  I asked the Wife if she thought it was hot in the house, she thought not.

I fetched a diet root beer and sat at the table. I looked down and my shirt was dark with sweat. Damp patches showed in the pits and under my manboobs. My back looked like I had just spent the past 30 minutes working out, not reading sea stories. (want to give me hug?).

I showed my Wife, she asked me if I was OK, if I was having a heart attack or something? I told her I felt fine. I checked my pulse, it was normal. I told her I guess I was having sympathetic hot flashes. She was not amused.

After a bit, I returned to normal. By the time I went to bed (after falling asleep in the chair), I was actually a bit cold.

I feel fine this morning. Old age ain't for the faint of heart.

And yes, if it happens again  I will call the doctor. Or at least my Mom.

Sorry, I know there is nothing worse than hearing old people talk about their health. I really had nothing else this morning.

6 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

I have found that when I was anxious about employment issues year before last, the same thing happened to me.
Same thing happened again this last week and I just was notified yesterday, layoff threats are gone.
Slept like a baby last night. No night sweats.

Jean said...

Did you check your temp? Might be a bug threatening.

Anonymous said...

Obviously you have never actually had a hot flash. It's not just sweating, it's like someone lit an electric heater about .00000034 under your outer skin.

Actually I liked having high blood pressure or hot flashes, only time in my life when I wasn't freezing.

Welcome to the club buddy. In our state there is only about one good month where I'm comfortable. Come on MAY!

GUYK said...

Yep, I know the feeling...my quack allowed it had to do with diabetes and burning that excess sugar...but don't know...hell I am an amateur historian not a quack

mts1 said...

Three guys were arguing what age was the worst. "The 60's are terrible. In the morning, I stand in front of the toilet and am glad if I can get a few drops to come dribble out.' "No, no, the 70's are the worst. In the morning, I sit on the toilet and strain, and if I can get a marble to fall out, I'm satisfied." "Ah, you two don't know from nothing. The 80's are the worst. By 7 a.m., I pee like a race horse, and by 8 a.m., I let out a dump that outdoes the same horse's."

(Other two)"Well, what's so bad about that?"

"I don't get up and out of bed until 9!"

Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Pussy. Happy Belated Birthday!


Dick

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger