August 13, 2014

Jimmy cracked corn

I suspect I have a serious character defect. Long time readers are pursing their lips and mumbling "just one?". Anyway, I just can't seem to summon vast amounts of tearful grief over people I don't even know.

"Robin Williams died today" says the wife.

"I heard that. What's for supper?" says I. Is it sad?, I guess.  Am I losing sleep or shedding precious tears? Not really.  Crazy Muslims beheading kids bothers me more.  I have never really understood celebrity adulation.  I was stunned to see a random woman standing at Elvis' grave at Graceland sobbing hysterically nearly a decade after the King died with his arms around a toilet. Princess Di --didn't know her.  Lauren Bacall - that sucks.  Old guy down the street who waved at me when I took a walk? Too bad. What was his name anyway? I'm sorry but for me they are but random squirrels crushed under a Goodyear down on Washington Street. I do feel bad, but I'm just not emotionally involved. Like I said, it is a character defect.

I have never cared for autographs.  I can't think of a single actor or entertainer that moved me to the point of hysteria. I saw where folks are leaving flowers and teddy bears on the steps of the home used as the set for Mrs. Doubtfire.  It was a movie people.

I guess I am missing the celebrity-worshiping gene.  I don't read People or watch TMZ.  If that is your thing, then good for you.  I am not judging. I just don't get it.

6 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Lauren Bacall died yesterday, which meant a lot more to me. Yet I'm still not sad enough to spew a bazillion pictures of her onto Facebook with a bunch of "oh woe is us" whiny postings about how she'll be missed. (For one thing, I thought she died several years ago...)

Rita said...

I have never looked to Hollywood for my heroes. I find them in uniforms of soldiers and policemen instead.

That being said, I did feel sad over Williams' death because he had brought a lot of laughter. I remember several stand up performances that a had me in tears. He had always reminded me of Jonathan Winters. They both were incredible geniuses in comedy.

I find it interesting that it seems those with that quick of wit and talent are also those that are closest to mental illnesses. Winters had committed himself several times.

But more than that, I cannot say it affects my life at all. I will always be impressed with his comic and acting talents. But that doesn't make him a hero.

Ed Bonderenka said...

I wrote similarly on FB and caught hell for saying it.
RW killed himself. Sorry.
Crazed muslims are killing innocent people and we could do something about that.

Ed Bonderenka said...

Most of the flack was from fellow vets of a newer era that knew him as a USO supporter.

Anonymous said...

I can think of more than a few Hollywood types that I would rather have seen dead.

James Old Guy

Dan O. said...

As is evident here, you are not alone, Joe.

Count me among the "I don't care" crowd.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger