November 29, 2014

Help me I think I'm falling

We got the outside lights and wreaths and stuff put up yesterday.  It was cold, but it could have been worse.  I got the big tree (8-1/2 ft) put up in the living room. It has lights but no decorations.  As soon as I summon the will, I am off to put up the smaller tree in the family room this morning. I suspect we will decorating both tonight when I get off work.  I hope the wife does it while I'm gone.  I don't mind decorating, but I don't like to put on the ornaments.

I was putting the boxes that hold the outside decorations back in the attic when I heard a loud "crack" and my ladder collapsed, throwing me to the ground. I fell flat on my back. It knocked the wind from my sails for a moment or two.  I'm a little sore today, but I think I'll live another day. Just earlier in the day the boy mentioned the old wooden step ladder was getting a bit wobbly. I think he hurt the old ladder's feelings, and she through me off and broke in a fit of suicidal desperation. I bought that ladder when we purchased our first house back in 1986.  I guess I got my money's worth. Still, I would have preferred to get rid of that old ladder in a less painful fashion.

Have a great Saturday. 

2 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

When I was a small kid, I watched dad putting up the lights outside the picture window.
Then I saw the ladder give way.
He broke a leg.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I've had a wooden stepladder break under me like that. Years ago, when I was about 100 pounds lighter and 30 or so years younger. Luckily I was only one step up and only injured my dignity.

We stopped buying wooden ladders after that. Got all fiberglas ones now (aluminum was right out since we did electrical work).

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger