April 16, 2016

Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal

It is Saturday and once again I am up an hour earlier than my usual wake up time. I think I'm looking at the situation all wrong. Instead of complaining that I woke up early, I should consider that I am excited for the weekend and do not want to waste it in bed.

Yeah, I don't really believe that either.

We went to downtown Indy last evening. I like to go downtown. I enjoy the old buildings and I'm just nostalgic enough to envision what the heart of the city might have looked like 75 or 100 years ago before suburbia changed everything. While Indianapolis has revitalized its downtown area, it is still, like most cities, a shell of what it once was.,

Yesterday, it was sunny and in the seventies with no humidity and I sat at my desk and worked. You probably did too, but I suspect I'm the only salesman in central Indiana who did. I did listen to the Cubs game while I typed reports and prepared for next week's customer visits. I won't lie, I caught myself staring out the window on more than one occasion.

There is a remote possibility I could have an opportunity to move into a different position. Next week as I drive more than 1,000 miles, I can assure you the prospect of no longer living out of a suitcase will appeal to me. On the other hand, it has been 20 years since I had to get up and go to an office at a set time to work. Ask anyone who does it, life on the road is not the fun you think it is. Work travel is not the same as vacation travel. That does not mean I don't enjoy my job. I'm 54. Do I still want to be on the road ten years from now? She has never said, but I suspect my wife would not mind if I was gone a little less. The prospect for the office job is slim anyway, but it has made me think about things a little. I probably jinxed it by even mentioning the possibility.

It looks to be a glorious day. I hope you enjoy your weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been almost a month since I retired, getting use to being home all the time has it's issues. I am sure there are times the wife wishes I would just go away for a while.

JOG

Jean said...

Bet the chance is not a slim one.
If you want it, you'll figure out how to get there.

Jon Moore said...

Joe, as a longtime gawker and seldom commenter, I'm going to offer my two anyway. I too am a traveler. The time that I've had to spend in the office equates to four times the amount spent on the road.
Take it for what it's worth.

Joe said...

I know exactly what you mean

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger