January 5, 2019

Red Vines and Coffee

I slept in again this morning. I didn't get up until just before eight. On New Years Day I slept past 9:00. I normally wake up on my own between 6-6:30. I guess I have been tired or something. 

I hate car shopping and looking for furniture. We have limped by with one car for too long. You have no idea what a benefit a company car is until it goes away after more than 20 years. I'm off to look for a cheap used car this morning to get me back and forth to work. It is a ten minute commute, so I just need a vehicle that will start and not need tons of repairs.  I'd like a pickup, but used truck prices are ridiculous. I don't want a payment, but I also don't have piles of cash and coin in my basement vault where I slide and ski down money mountains like Scrooge McDuck. 

Like everyone, I want a great car with practically no cash down and very low monthly payments. Face it, I just want my employer to buy me a car. 

I hate the high pressure "What do we need to get you into this car today" spiel. I can handle that, sales is my profession too. But more, I despise the hours waiting on financing to do their thing then come out with a whole different deal than what you agreed with the salesman. If I find something today, I will wait a little for them to work up the numbers then I'm leaving. They can call me Monday with a final deal. I'm not sitting around the dealership for hours on a Saturday. Mostly I loathe the idea that I'm going to get cheated. I am. I just don't like it. 

Have a great Saturday. I won't. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Then dont. Buy from individual on craigslist. Finance thru your bank or cu. Currently have better rates. Use Kelly to figure the price you should pay. Think don't follow the herd.

B said...

What "unknown" said.

Or better:

Shop for cars. Find the one you want. research it. let them make an offer. counter it with yours that you have researched. Tell 'em to take it or leave it. If it is a fair offer, they'll take it. Then take that car to a reputable mechanic. Pay him to give you his honest opinion. Listen to his advice.

Have your financing in hand by pre-negotiation with your bank.. Tell 'em they have to beat that if they want you to use the dealer financing.

If they won't dicker, walk out. 5 will get you 10 they will try to get you to stay and bend a bit on the price.....stand firm on your offer. Or bend a bit, but then make 'em give you a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty to sweeten the deal. Figure the cost they show you for that warranty is twice what they pay.

I bet you walk out with a good car at a decent price if you do that.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

We bought the wife's new Subaru at Falcone, down on 16th Street just east of White River, and that was the lowest-pressure car buying experience I've ever sat through. It helped that we already knew what we wanted and what the sticker price was, but we really weren't 100% ready to buy that day and they made it possible for us to decide, yeah, we could do that.

And we really needed to trade in her van. I did not want her driving it another winter. So I felt pretty good about the whole thing.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger