August 18, 2021

Things that make you say “hmmm”

It’s funny how things work. I took the car over to the tire store across the highway to get a leaky left rear fixed. $26 or so later I was on my way home. They said everything looked great. I found that strange since the dealership insisted when I was in there a couple of months ago my tires were shot — dangerously so. 

That proclamation instigated a most difficult conversation from me since I was promised by the lying salesman the Escape had new tires when we bought it in November. Oh, and I needed new brakes too. At thirty thousand miles. After much discussion and semi-unpleasantness (but no raising of voices) I got the brake job done gratis. I was presented a quote of nearly $900 for tires. I said I’d think on it. 

Somehow, a store whose very existence depends on replacing tires thought my tires looked fine. The dealership said failure was imminent.

My initial response to the dealer service department remains confirmed. I’ll never buy a car from them again. Either they are incompetent or they are crooks. There is no other option. 

I doubt I’ll even take it back to the dealer for the next oil change. 

2 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

$900 for tires on an Escape? I paid $600 for tires on mine in February 2020. Notably, not at the dealer. On the other hand, you can thank Slow Joe from Delaware for inflation since January.

As it turns out, I also took my vehicle back to the tire store recently, because I too had a leaky tire. They looked at it and said, oh, valve stem has a slice out of it, road damage, no biggie, we'll replace it free. I said, by the way, will that fix the warnings I'm getting about the tire sensors not working? Oh -- we'll check that too, if you want. So how much are your tire sensors? $50 each installed and programmed. Long story short, they replaced two of them and I got that done for $100. You can bet I'll be going back to them if I need the other two replaced.

At the Ford dealer, those new sensors would have been about $150 EACH.

I will say this: One thing my daddy taught me was NEVER BUY TIRES AT THE DEALERSHIP. :)

Joe said...

I never even considered buying them at the dealer

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger