September 19, 2021

…and boy are my arms tired

The problem with not doing anything all summer is nothing got done. In my defense you can’t do many projects with crutches tucked in your arm pits. That said, yesterday found me hard at work on one of the wife’s “we need to…” lists. The shrubs in front of the house were ugly, had a lot of dead, and needed trimmed. She wanted them gone. The lady at the nursery assured her fall was a good time to plant shrubs, so I headed out with saw, shovel, axe, clippers, and maul. Despite the heat and humidity I managed to cut, hack, and dig up all three uglies. The biggest challenge was trying to dig without pushing the shovel with my right foot. 

I replaced the dug-up bushes with new uniform boxwood. Of course, since we replaced three shrubs with four, that meant four brand new holes had to be dug in that nasty Indiana clay. 

I’m feeling it today. But there is no rest for the wicked. She has moved to the next item on her list of things to be done. Today we will paint the front door and shutters. So no, I guess I won’t be watching the football game. 

I can’t wait to go to work Monday so I can rest up.

4 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

This is part of the reason we are moving back into our condo :)

Practical Parsimony said...

Have a good rest on Monday. Boxwoods grow slowly, so they won't need digging up for a long time.

B said...

Right now is one of the WORST times to replace shrubs.

Water every day if it isn't actively raining...keep that up until the winter.
Yer likely still gonna lose at least one.

Joe said...

That’s what I told the wife. She won’t listen

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger