November 23, 2021

Wherein I complain (a new phenomenon around here)

I ain’t happy about it. It cannot be helped. Here I am up at way too early. I have already done a couple hours of honest work. Quotes sent, orders entered. Now I turn my attention to the old blogeroo. 

I still have to make a feeble attempt to entertain you, take a shower, and hit the road to Louisville for a couple of meetings this morning. The challenge will be staying awake on the drive home. If you see me weaving across lanes on I-65 northbound this afternoon give me a wide berth and cut me some slack. 

The boss and I made a fruitful visit to the greater boot toe region of Hoosierdom yesterday. A new equipment order came out of it. More expensive capital equipment orders are likely to follow. That is a good thing when you are grubbing for commissions (spit). I hate working for a commission. I never understood why companies think a salesperson won’t work hard unless you pay him extra? We don’t put engineers, accountants, or HR people on commission do we? No, we expect them to do their dang job. 

Sure, I probably missed out on some giant payouts when I worked most of my career as a salaried salesman*, but I like the regular paychecks. 

Lest you think I complain too much (I do), I am more than grateful for my current job, low base pay plus commission. It is far, far better than the big box home improvement store or the short-lived lizard insurance gigs I toiled at for the past couple of years. 

I’m off to get ready for my road warrior act. Have a great day.


*What is 1 or 2 percent of a $35 million dollar territory anyway? Yeah, now you know why I was on straight salary.

2 comments:

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

I can tell you that at least one of our senior salespeople would not do squat if s/he were on straight salary without commissions. As it is, s/he hounds the engineers (who are on straight salary) to do most of the hard work for him/her.

Boss says, could let go, but whom to replace with?

My response: Someone who would actually do the friggin' job.

Joe said...

If that person can’t or won’t do the job, fire ‘em.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger