December 20, 2021

Boo freaking hoo: the update you didn’t ask for

I have been remiss in complaining about stuff the past few days. Some of you probably thought the old blogeroo had been taken over by a kinder, gentler doppelgänger. Not so! 

I woke this morning pain free. My foot did not hurt at all. There was no minor swelling, I could actually see the bones and veins faintly below the skin. Things were the way they ought to be. How did this miracle happen? It is the consequence of pretty much sitting on my tail all day yesterday. Oh, I did some stuff. I ran the vacuum. Wrapped some presents. Toiled over the crockpot cooking dinner. Mostly I just watched tv, read, and dozed. 

I have the answer. I just need to stay off my foot and eschew shoes for six weeks or so and I will be healed.

Wait, I did that. It didn’t help. 

I know this, the next time I’m at the doctor for a routine check and he asks if there is anything else, I won’t say something stupid like “well, my foot has been bothering me for a month or so”. 

I broke it in April when the stress fracture turned into a real break. You might think some of my continued issues are my own fault. I might think you are right , but don’t ever expect me to admit it. I don’t work that way. 

I  finally talked to the erstwhile doc about it in May. I was on my feet more than I should have, walking 40-50 miles a week during my first 8 weeks or so in the boot. The need to eat and sorta pay bills dictated I keep putting time at the Big Box home improvement store. And yes, they could have helped out by putting my in an area where I was not lifting the heaviest crap in the store all day. They didn’t, because they were short handed and needed me there. Even when I asked.

Then surgery. Then six weeks completely off of the foot. I did very good about that. Since, I have followed the surgeons directions. Unfortunately, the design of my foot, the way I stand and walk, and low blood flow from diabetes has made healing slower than slow. I even question, do I limp from pain or habit at this point?

So it goes. I miss walking the neighborhood. If my foot is gonna hurt anyway, I might as well do the stuff I enjoy. Besides, lack of exercise has caused me to put on ten pounds. I’m still not the fat guy I was when I started this piece o’ rap blog, but I’m not as skinny as I was nine months ago either.

There, how’s that for complaining? 

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger