May 9, 2022

Breaking Memories

So yesterday my daughter took my wife to brunch for Mother’s Day. I got to tag along because. We went to a locally owned place in the county seat. After breakfast we walked around the square looking into shops and stores. 

Getty images
We wandered into an antique store and my daughter was looking at the Depression Glass. My mom had a nice collection of the stuff and my daughter has it now. 

My daughter was looking at a candy dish with a lid. She said she had that bowl, but hers didn’t have a lid. In that moment I had a memory I had completely forgotten. It was teenage me, all awkward and bumbling, bouncing off a coffee table, knocking off the green candy dish. And breaking the lid. I could suddenly remember just how angry my mom was with me.

“Well”, I told my daughter, “it used to have a lid”...

3 comments:

Scott said...

It's funny how when you reach a certain age that antique stores are stocked with the things you grew up with...

Practical Parsimony said...

My friend has a sign in his shop that says he charges for people reminiscing who say "I have one just like that somewhere." Maybe you could buy the candy dish and make whole what you broke.

glasslass said...

We used to have antique stores. People would come in and see something from their childhood that when Mom had died they donated to good will so sold at auction and it made it's way to our shelves. Oh, we had this why this cost my Mom $1.00 and you're sell it for $35. that's highway robbery. It will never be $1. again get over it.

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger