October 5, 2022

deliberate disdain

As I stayed with my dad in his last days the TV was tuned 24/7 to the Grit channel. Westerns played loud and always as he dozed in his recliner. Interspersed at very frequent intervals were commercials for ambulance chasing lawyers and Medicare hustlers. 

The commercials starring Joe Namath especially irritated Dad. Every time Broadway Joe came on dad would mutter “ I hate that son of a bitch. I’m so tired of his commercial.”

I knock off work around five. My wife has taken the littlest granddaughter home to greet the oldest as she gets off the school bus. I pick up the toys that litter the family room and watch a couple of episodes of the old police drama Adam-12. Just like the western channel, the oldies channel is paid for with commercials from ambulance chasing lawyers and lots and lots of Medicare commercials from that son of a bitch Joe Namath. I understand why my dad hated his commercials so much. 

Just call to check your zip code my ass. 

No comments:

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger