October 25, 2022

On Things

My voter registration may state otherwise, but I’ve not been a big R Republican for a very long time. I picture myself a solid conservative and that is something the national Republicans have not been for ages. What we have running things are liberals and not quite so liberals and really big spenders and not quite as big spenders.

Were I in charge, large very large banners would stretch across the wall in both Chambers of Congress that reads simply “That is not your money you are spending”.  In fact, I might require it to be tattooed on each elected officials’ forearm. 

I think every spending bill should have a line that clearly and specifically spells out how many dollars spent will cost each individual taxpayer. Imagine if your local Representative had to justify spending each and every $150 or $200 the Feds confiscated right off the top of your paycheck.

If I was listing big things that bother me, the riots/insurrection of January 6 would be far, far down on my list. It was a bunch of stupid people doing remarkably stupid things. I have no compassion for the fate of any of those who participated. I also think that if it was an insurrection, it was the most pathetic effort in history, ranking right up there with the hippies’ attempt to levitate the Pentagon back in the sixties. 

Don’t even get on about election deniers. Some of those most recently outraged claimed Bush and Trump were illegitimate Presidents and their elections were stolen. There were more rioters at Trumps’ inauguration four years previous. 

If you are one of those who equate January 6 as one of the worst days in American history than I invite you to peruse your local library history section. You might want to read about the riots of the sixties, Aaron Burr’s attempt at a western kingdom, the Whiskey Rebellion, Shay’s Rebellion, the Bonus Marches, John Brown’s Raid, the NY Draft Riots, and even the Black Lives/anarchist riots of the previous year. The Weathermen were more effective. Sorry, while I’m disgusted, I’m not appalled. Your opinion may vary. That is why it is opinion and we will have to agree to disagree. 

Trump lost the election. That doesn’t mean it is not reasonable to question that Biden’s margin of victory came for the most part from unvetted mail-in votes. Was there enough questionable stuff to overturn the election — I don’t think so, but again, read the whole opinion thing above. 

What I’m am tired of is bad choice and worse choice for every election. 

On that, I suspect,  we do agree. 

8 comments:

Cappy said...

You bet The Weathermen were effective! Just look at who mentored Obama and raised San Francisco's Chesa Boudin!

Ed Bonderenka said...

I saw a meme yesterday with a guy asking, "If you can just print money, why tax me?"

Joe said...

Cappy — indeed

Ed — that’s great

Practical Parsimony said...

I think politicians would not be so free-spending if they were not guaranteed their salary for life. Someone needs to overturn that.

Scott said...

Every election, I have to hold my nose to keep the stink out of it while I mark my ballot. Once they have your vote, they're done caring about you.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

Voter registration in this state is only for the purpose of determining which primary you vote in. Though the law does have some vague and unenforceable BS about how you should vote in the primary for the party whose candidates you voted for in the last general election, which is ostensibly to stop things like Rush Limbaugh's Operation Chaos. Of course nobody pays attention to such idiotic claptrap.

Fuzzy Curmudgeon said...

And FWIW, if you're tired of bad choice and worse choice, get out there and run for office yourself. I've got at least one friend who's fighting that good fight. I wish I had the time, money, and charisma to do the same.

Joe said...

You summed up my reasons time, money, charisma. And the firm conviction I am not willing to be beholden to the corruption it takes to win and hold office

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger