February 2, 2023

Glimpse

I sat on the edge of Carrie’s old twin bed. Weak sunlight filtered in through the opening of the pink curtains. I unsnapped the plastic case and took out Dad’s old pistol. It was a snub nosed .38. The chrome was worn in places, but the barrel was clean and the gun was oiled. The weapon was the very definition of a Saturday Night Special; compact and deadly. Dad used to keep it in his desk at the bank, I suppose in a misguided notion he could foil a holdup or something.

The pistol had a reassuring heft. I had fired it many years ago. It had a little kick for such a small gun. The hole it left in the paper target was serious enough. I held the pistol to my head and pulled the trigger. Snap. I opened the box of shells and counted them. There were nineteen. I fed five shells into the cylinder even though I only planned on using one.

I had never felt such…despair was not the right word…hopelessness. I was drowning in my very existence. For the first time in my life, I just did not care about anything. It was as if weights were on my legs, my shoulders, my arms, my fingertips, my lungs, and my heart. I was pressed down by the enormity and futility of it all. It was like that touch of panic claustrophobia you felt when you found yourself in a dark tight spot -- the crawlspace under the house, in a closet, or crawling to reach something that rolled under the bed. It was like that panic, only magnified – it was the claustrophobia of living.

“Not here,” I thought. Not on Carrie’s bed. I walked down the hall. I could never leave such a mess in the bedroom I shared with Sarah.  I went outside to the backyard. I sat on a chair, cocked the gun, and held it to my temple. I heard the kids next door laughing and splashing in their little blow-up pool. For the next sixty years, to those children, I would be the neighbor who offed himself. I gently squeezed the trigger and lowered the hammer with my thumb.

I sat on the patio until darkness fell. I walked inside and unloaded the gun and returned it to its plastic box. I put the shells back into the carboard carton. I sat in my recliner and opened a bottle of bourbon.

10 comments:

Kathy H said...

I would read that book. It hooked me right away.

Practical Parsimony said...

That was scary and believable.

Jean said...

Helluva intro.

Joe said...

It is not all dark and gloomy and depressing

Cappy said...

The name's Cornelius Stalk. I keep the watch on Henry County...

glasslass said...

Excellent!

Greybeard said...

Hits close to home.
A friend with consistent, horrible, uncontrolled migraines actually followed through with the attempt this way.
I understood, but was angry he deprived me of the smile he was able to show in spite of his pain.
:(

Joe said...

That is awful, Greybeard. I am sorry for your loss.

Midwest Chick said...

Wow Joe--This is amazing work. I could feel everything the character is. Keep going!

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone

Joe

Consider everything here that is of original content copyrighted as of March 2005
Powered By Blogger